Song 1 - What's Your Favorite Ice Cream?
- Ask your child what their favorite ice cream flavor is.
- Tell them this song is about ice cream
2. Notice & Note
- Read and sing the words while pointing at each color box
- Alternatively, use the color names instead of lyrics
- This first song introduces using all 10 fingers right away.
- Sing and play to demonstrate,
- Bounce the entire arm from the wrist.
- The objective is to have your child build up finger dexterity and the use of each finger for a specific key and color. This is called a 5 finger position and is based around middle C.
4. Now It’s Your Turn
- Encourage them to sing and play at the same time. This keeps good rhythm.
- Gently correct the fingering - try to use the right color for the right finger.
5. Practice Notes
- Work on this one hand at a time. When it gets easy, try two hands together. Then, try it with eyes closed.
- After this becomes easy, start working on gently curving the fingers as if they were gently holding a ball of cotton candy.
- This song should be practiced everyday for at least the first week. Don’t skip ahead. This is like taking your fingers to the piano gym.
- Then have them do it one hand at a time. After a few days/weeks, you can have them sing and play with both hands together.
- Coloring activity: ice cream cone.
USE THE PRACTICE TRACK DOWNLOAD BELOW TO LET YOUR CHILD HEAR THE RHYTHM.